Monday, December 31, 2007

Jesus stands as an absolute conundrum to those who are seeking a “messiah”.

He just doesn’t fit.

To believe in him demands one of two things.

You can change everything you know about God, everything you have ever done for him, everything you expected him to be and live in a state of continual amazement as he eludes being type cast or contained. You can then live in adventurous questioning, learning, discovering, not so much following Jesus as being amazed at him following you, knowing you. To be known by God, now there’s a miracle worthy teaching. Not worshipping him, but being humbled by him bowing at you feet with a wash bowl and towel….

Or…

You must tie him up with theology, explaining everything he does in ways that reduce him down to our words and our thoughts and our expectations. He then becomes "our Jesus". A Jesus subject to our interpretations. "Our Jesus" can very nicely fit in a book if we make him hostage to our words and our concepts. We can interpret him, teaching those interpretations and even worse, forcing them upon others. In the name of "Our Jesus" we can build nice churches and a nice culture and a nice worship team. He can agree with our silence when the marginalised are abandoned for the sake of prosperity and comfort, he can turn a blind eye with us to the terror that is being committed daily in the name of a culture that bears his name…


6 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

hey geoff,
is this the only way to contact you. I tried the email link on yoer website and it bounced back to me.
Ian Peters

3:53 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey Ian... just tried it and it seemed ok to me... anyway.. my email is geoffbullock@bigpond.com
Looking forward to hearing from you
Geoff

5:27 pm  
Blogger Candy said...

I desperately want to "live in adventurous questioning, learning, discovering, not so much following Jesus as being amazed at him following me, knowing me". I do not want him to be "my Jesus", knowing how pathetic and lame my knowledge of him is and how I tend to box him up. I want to be continually amazed, astounded by the miracle that is God. I once heard this and it resonated within me, "Jesus knows me, this I love." Happy New Year Geoff. May this year bring you closer into the arms of him who loves you the very most.

8:54 am  
Blogger Stewart C said...

Hi Geoff, I am enjoying your blog - it has a quiet, reverent feel like an oasis of the Internet.

I wonder if you have heard this parable, and what you think of it:

"An angel and a devil were watching a man struggle to climb a steep hill. Suddenly the man tripped over something and picked up a small stone. The devil began laughing. The angel asked "What has he found?", and the devil replied "He's found the truth". The angel was puzzled "If he's found the truth, thats a win for us isnt it? Its bad news for your side.". "Yes," said the devil still laughing, "but, I am going to help him organize it."

12:17 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for putting up your thoughts Geoff, they are refreshing.
It is often the dualism of religion verses spirituality. That to find Christian spirtuality though Christian community is most often through Church and its structures which are in many ways religious in nature.

9:55 am  
Blogger story takes time said...

Learning to live close to the skin. That's how I like to perrceive it. Letting everything touch you. Right there, right then. We were in Kununurra recently and woke up to the most spectacular sunrise over the lake. I just sat up and said, 'WOW!' Yup in caps with an ! I'd like all my moments to be wow moments. That's why I love these lyrics by Enya:
I walk the maze of moments
But everywhere I turn to
Begins a new beginning
But never finds a finish
I walk to the horizon
And there I find another
It all seems so surprising

3:32 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home