Monday, September 24, 2007

A sleepy Monday,
lunch with my son.
I spent the time listening to his dreams,
watching my features move under his face.
Fatherhood is one of the greatest joys.
I continually find myself amazed
by the emergence of young lives
full of drive and vision.
He left in a hurry with a firm handshake,
and a gentle and affectionate pat,
impatient to meet a young man's afternoon.
For the next few minutes I sat alone at the table,
with my mineral water and pot of tea
basking in the afterglow of the past hour.

4 Comments:

Blogger Janet McKinney said...

You know - I think parenting gets even more satisfying when they become adults. No more feeling responsible - just being friends, and enjoying their company.

I love spending time with my daighter like that
Janet McK

5:57 pm  
Blogger Candy said...

I could feel your satisfaction and joy in him. I like that you could see yourself in his face. I think his heart was reflected there too. That says a lot about not only him, but you too.

1:30 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

Dear Janet, yes I agree with you. Parenting is far more satisfying when than become adults and friends. I meet with my adult children over a meal and simply listen to their stories.
Candy, yes my youngest son shares my heart and a great deal of my features. He is very musical and sometimes a perfect gentleman.. other times he is just a naughty boy.. but so am I.

10:25 am  
Blogger story takes time said...

I just have to smile. I haven't seen my kids in over a year - the tyranny of distance - but even after twelve months I still bask in their presence. A beut choice of words.

6:02 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home