Monday, April 18, 2011

Step by tragic step


Palm fronds
and
a donkey.
hardly the heralds to
mankind's most dire moment
and God's greatest act.

The chapter has been opened
the sentences accelerate.
Evert word,
every line
builds towards the horror.

how could we turn our backs?
How could we join the crowd,
baying for blood,
screaming:
Barabbus,
Barabbus,
Barabbus.

Yet we chose
to enthrone the God of our desires,
denying every word,
every act, every embrace and every miracle.
We drained Jesus of his divine love, his unmerited grace,
and called him a failure.
as we crowned our faith
with the rewards reserved
for the self righteous.

If these palm fronds
could speak
would they be crying,
a donkey,
weeping
as this "journey of journeys",
slowly becomes a death march.

And, as I search my soul,
I am horrified to find
a name on my lips,
a name that reserves my deeds
for the rewards
of my self righteousness.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home