Thursday, August 09, 2007

Grace

P
lace yourself before Pilate, Barabus and Jesus. Who would you choose? To chose Jesus you would have to go against the opinions and actions of your religion, your King and the representative of Rome. To chose Jesus is to become a total outcast. This is a huge ask.

Then ask yourself, is Jesus association with prostitutes, publicans and sinners simply too much for you? Think of the Roman Centurion in Capernaum, the prostitute in Simon the Pharisees house, John the Baptist's doubt and you have enough doubt yourself to choose Barabus. I think all of us would have chosen Barabus because Jesus, at the time, was far too "un-Messiah like". We just couldn't be sure. This is what the human race has been forgiven of. We constantly chose Barabus, and Jesus constantly prays of us: "Father, forgive them for they do not know what they are doing". Every breath humanity has breathed ever since is a gift of grace.

I have also come to realise that when I fail in any way the guilt and shame I feel is more a loss of self righteousness rather than a loss of any righteousness, after all, when are we ever 'more righteous'?

A simple meditation on these things leaves me in awe of Christ and in awe of grace.


6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great Geoff, yes you see as long as we have any self righteousness left within ourselves we somehow don't see our full need of grace. But that is what the cross is all about isn't it. It takes all our works, self righteousness, trying to be 'good' enough and nails them to death so that we have nothing left but ourselves, sinners who need saving by the unmerited favour of an Almighty, merciful, loving Father God. Grace. If only I could really feel it . . .

Alex (Percy)

8:00 pm  
Blogger Mike Morrell said...

Hi, brother...just found your blog; I'm enjoying your writing and pics! I'm going to add you to the blogroll of my alternative Christian web directory, zoecarnate.com, if that's okay.

12:45 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thank you, that will be great. Thanks for finding me!!

4:37 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Yes,Alex(Percy), I really do know what you mean and I suppose for me, it took failure and disappointment before I felt the urgent need of grace. In the end, not feeling anything doesn't change the fact that grace abounds in you. Relax, perhaps, and enjoy the freedom of forgiveness.

6:54 pm  
Blogger Deb Porter said...

"I have also come to realise that when I fail in any way the guilt and shame I feel is more a loss of self righteousness rather than a loss of any righteousness, after all, when are we ever 'more righteous'?"

Wow. Read this about three times before it really sank in--then it REALLY sank in.

This was a thought provoking piece of writing from start to finish. Thank you so much for sharing these thoughts with us.

With love, Deb

5:39 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks heaps Deb, it was a great revelation for me too. it made a whole heap of difference to how I related to my past as well as my present.

5:46 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home