Saturday, September 15, 2012

Why

Why, oh why do we think that we can define God
with such confidence
that we can decide who he is,
and who he is not.
Why oh why
do we think
that we can hear his voice
with such clarity
that we can speak on his behalf
as it it were his very words.
Why oh why
do we think we know the secrets
of the universe
when we don't even understand ourselves,
why do we believe with such militancy
that we can dismiss the beliefs of others.
Why do we fight
and maim
and kill
and yet declare that
God is love
and we are his children.
How do we make so much darkness
whilst professing
we are children of light?
How can we lay
looking into the night sky
without the wonder
of the infinitesimal nature
of our own solar system
let alone our own
fleeting existence.
Either our God is too small,
or we believe ourselves
to be too big.
Just wondering.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Geoff,
keep pondering my friend, these thoughts have been sitting in my heart and mind also. It seems as I grow older that the people of God that I meet are spending so , so much time trying to "bring God down to their size". I serve, know and am loved by a God who knows no bounds in time and space, so why would I want to make him as small as me? It's the beauty and wonder of his character and just the Awesomeness that makes him not a god but the God! I am glad that I can't and don't understand all of him, all about him and can only be blown away by him and all that he has put in place.

Garry

5:34 pm  
Anonymous Bryan Lean said...

Mind bogling , food for thought! Bryan

6:41 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks Garry, I really appreciate your comment. If we don't give ourselves permission to ask questions and wrestle with answers, we will never truly begin the journey to grasp the beginnings of knowledge.

12:39 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks Bryan, keep visiting. I will try to post a thought or two perhaps even three each week.

12:41 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello there, I found your blog via Google at the same time as looking for a related topic, your website came up, it appears great. I've bookmarked it in my google bookmarks.

10:46 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Anon,
Thanks for dropping by. Glad you enjoyed my blog.

1:07 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home